Advisory Reviews and County Approvals
The Planning Division of Allegheny County Economic Development (ACED) provides a variety of supporting services for land use planning and development to municipalities, agencies, the general public, and others. This page describes some of the Division's responsibilities under the PA Municipalities Planning Code (MPC). Learn more about the Division and ACED.
As required by the MPC, Planning Division provides advisory reviews of various applications to Allegheny County's municipalities, other than the City of Pittsburgh. Advisory reviews include the following:
- Proposed subdivisions and land developments in municipalities that have adopted a subdivision and land development ordinance
- Proposed land use ordinances and comprehensive plans
- Land use studies for proposed transportation impact fee ordinances
- Grant and permit applications for consistency with AlleghenyPlaces
In municipalities that haven't adopted a subdivision and land development ordinance (SALDO) the county planning agency is responsible for reviewing and approving subdivisions and land developments in the municipality. Planning Division carries out this function for ACED. The Allegheny County Subdivision and Land Development Ordinance (county SALDO) governs in the municipality.
After a subdivision, site plan, or planned residential development (PRD) has been finally approved and signed by the municipality, it must be submitted to Planning Division for the Department's signature before it is submitted to Allegheny County Department of Real Estate (ACDRE) for recording. This applies to all municipalities except the City of Pittsburgh.
FORMS, FACT SHEETS, AND OTHER INFORMATION
- MPC Reviews. This chart summarizes the MPC review requirements.
- Municipal Submittals to ACED. This fact sheet for municipalities summarizes the submittal requirements for proposed land use ordinances, amendments to land use ordinances, and comprehensive plans.
- Consistency reviews. Here you will find detailed information about permit and grant consistency reviews.
Subdivisions and Record Plans:
- Digital Plan Submittal Policy
- Subdivision Review Checklist. The Division uses this checklist to review all proposed subdivision record plans.
- Preparation of Record Plans. Appendices 1 – 4 of the county SALDO contain standards, requirements, and other important information applicable to all plans that will be recorded in Allegheny County.
- Final Record Plans. Basic information on submitting finally approved plans to the Division for review and signature, prior to recording with ACDRE.
- ACDRE Recording Help. Basic information on recording a plan with ACDRE after the plan has been signed by ACED.
- Recording Time Limits – All finally approved plans must be recorded within a specified period of time. This fact sheet explains the deadline for recording plans, and what to do if your plan is past the deadline.